Monday, May 28, 2018

The Real Housewives Of Sydney Canceled After One Season? — Foxtel Is ‘Refusing To Confirm The Show’s Future’

More than 18 months after the debut season of The Real Housewives of Sydney wrapped filming its first season, production is refusing to confirm whether or not the show will return for a second season.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the network and production company are ''refusing to confirm the show's future."

A few weeks back,  rumors circulated the internet that The Real Housewives of Sydney was put on hold  since Foxtel wanted to focus on The Real Housewives of Melbourne, which was rumored to begin production for Season 5 in June.

The news came from a Reddit page that also claimed that former RHOMelbourne cast member Pettifleur Berenger was set to return to the show's fifth season. Also, rumors reveal that Janet Roach was allegedly exiting the show after four seasons.

However, Jackie Gillies took to Twitter to shut down these rumors. The #ShineShineShine psychic revealed that neither Sydney or Melbourne have been renewed by the network.

"Sydney & Melbourne #Housewives have not been commissioned for next season as of yet," she wrote.


As previously reported,the controversial show was rejected by U.S. network Bravo for being too extreme - this was the first time a Real Housewives franchise was not immediately picked up for syndication.

If you recall, the fate of the show was in question after Bravo decided not to commission the show for being "too extreme" for American viewers, in which Foxtel's head of television Brian Walsh revealed that he was concerned about the cast, hinting changes would have be made to the housewives line up.

"A lot of the women in this show were nasty for nasty’s sake and have no redeeming features," he said. "I particularly felt Lisa Oldfield and AthenaX Levendi were driving their own agendas."

Brian said he would be steering changes in the second series to make sure the women were better behaved and more friendly towards each other.

"I’ve raised my concerns with the production team from this season. I felt the bad language and behavior throughout the series did go too far," he told The Daily Telegraph.

While there was many hints that Lisa Oldfield and Athena X Levendi were being cut from the show, is understood a revolt from fans of the show have forced producers to reconsider.

“Lisa and Athena may be confrontational on screen, but fans love them,” the source told The Herald Sun back in July. “When rumors came out that bosses were keen to cut them, fans were not impresses, now Foxtel is being forced to reconsider.”

The publication claimed that while all the women are under three season contracts, Matchbox Pictures, who produce the show, can let any cast members go at their discretion.

Lisa Oldifield's husband David hinted that the show was not returning for a second season when the couple where contestants on Ten's reality show, "I'm a Celebrity... Get Me out of Here!" earlier this year.

Particular taking a dig at Lisa's RHOS nemesis Krissy Marsh, David said: "She doesn't understand that the show is over. A couple of them we know are not dealing with the fact that whatever they were... they are not that now."

Dismissing the cast as a bunch of 'fame whores', he added: "They really did have their 15 minutes of fame."

While the series was not picked up by U.S. network Bravo for being "too extreme," the show found international success in New Zealand and the U.K.

The Sydney cast consists of spiritual goddess AthenaX Levendi, businesswoman Lisa Oldfield alongside former model Krissy Marsh, day spa queen Matty Samaei, ’90s pop star Melissa Tkautz, former Miss World Nicole O’Neill and socialite Victoria Rees.

However, in April it was confirmed that The Real Housewives of Auckland, which was produced by Matchbox Pictures, the same production company who has worked on The Real Housewives of Melbourne and Sydney was not returning for a second season.

"The Real Housewives of Auckland was incredibly successful for Bravo NZ, as well as internationally with the show also airing in the US, Europe and Australia. We have no immediate plans for another series, but it is something we would love to do so never say never!" a Bravo New Zealand spokesperson said in a statement to Stuff.

Photo Credit: Foxtel

No comments :

Post a Comment